Winter Energy Tips
When the big chill moves in, have your heating system serviced by a local certified HVAC contractor. Maintenance of your system drastically improves performance. Here are some other cold weather energy tips.
- Clean or replace your heating system filter every 30 to 90 days depending on your system requirements.
- Seal all air leaks around windows and doors with caulk and weather-stripping.
- Cover your exterior pipes and faucets with covers and wraps during freezing temperatures. Be ready.
- If you own a window AC unit, pull it out for the winter. Window AC units are like having a small hole in your wall during winter months.
- If you own a fireplace, be certain to keep the flue closed when not in use and consider adding a chimney plug to reduce air leaks.
- Turn down your thermostat when away or asleep. A 10 degree lower setting for 8 hours saves 10% on heating bills.
- Open drapes and curtains on sunny days to let the UV rays help heat your living spaces.
For lower heating and cooling costs year-round, consider having your HVAC system ductwork inspected and sealed by a qualified HVAC technician. Also consider adding insulation to your home. Over 60% of homes in the USA are currently under-insulated according to new energy codes. You could save 20% or more on energy bills.